Living with failing sight
A DVD for your organisation to offer to patients or service users whose visual impairment is recent
A DVD for people with failing sight! Is that crazy?
No it isn’t. This resource is for your organisation to offer to people who have recently discovered that their vision is likely to deteriorate further, and probably can’t be prevented.
Most people have a DVD player at home, and with their remaining vision your patients or service users will almost certainly derive more from this clearly presented DVD than they can from a leaflet.
Featuring real people speaking honestly about their own experience of failing sight, this approach has the advantage of offering encouragement and reassurance using friendly but well researched content.
Designed for easy use: just insert the disc and it will play – no menus to navigate. Includes easy-to-see content and very large text for key contact details, which are also spoken.
The programme is written and presented by Richard Cox, well known professional and broadcaster in the field of sight loss, who is himself partially sighted.
How your organisation can use this resource
This user-friendly DVD can support and enhance your existing services:
- Provides stop-gap support when waiting lists are long
- Reinforces key information provided by your staff
- Something tangible to give to your service users or patients
- Is more accessible and reassuring than printed material
- Can be shared with family and friends
- Effective for in-house staff training
Low unit cost enables you to widely issue this supportive resource at the time of greatest need - when sight loss is recent.
- Interviews with people who have learnt to cope with failing sight
- Honest discussion of the emotional impact
- Demonstrations of problem-solving devices and methods
- Unhelpful myths exploded
- Recognition of Carers needs
- Where to get support, advice, services and equipment
- Entitlements and concessions
Customisable with your own branding
Off the shelf, the package includes national contact details. But we can custom-brand this DVD to look like an in house-product. Your own organisation’s name, contact details and logo can be incorporated into the packaging and the video content itself. Users will see it as an integrated part of your overall service provision. Contact Seeing Sense to discuss your requirements.
You will want to maintain a stock of this DVD if you are an
Social Services Department
GP Practice or Community Heath Centre
Voluntary organisation for visually impaired, disabled or older people
Low Vision Service